At American University, our smart, passionate and engaged students and faculty focus their knowledge to create meaningful change. Our strengths in international service and public affairs inspire our sense of social responsibility and a dedication to cultural and intellectual diversity. We’re defined by our global perspective, practical idealism and a dedication to public service.
American University is a private, college-centered research university located in the nation’s capital. It was chartered by the United States Congress in 1893 to build public service, and is now home to a prestigious faculty, guest speakers and visiting world leaders who are influential practitioners and prominent thought leaders.
Join us in creating new opportunities for yourself while you help create a better world. Become part of the network of ambitious achievers, compassionate leaders and socially aware citizens at American University.
In 2018, U.S. News & World Report ranked American University:
- No. 69, Best National University
- No. 35, Best Colleges for Veterans
- No. 61, Best Value Schools
- Master of Arts in Economics
- Master of Arts in Strategic Communication
- Master of Public Administration and Policy
- Master of Science in Counter-Terrorism and Homeland Security
- Master of Science in Health Promotion Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Human Resource Analytics and Management
- Master of Science in Measurement and Evaluation
- Master of Science in Nutrition Education
- Master of Science in Sports Analytics and Management
Online Student Experience
American University online programs are delivered through a format that’s convenient, flexible and portable. Like on-campus, students talk about their coursework and current issues with classmates, ask instructors questions and turn in assignments, but it’s all done via email, discussion boards, instant messaging and more.
Online courses at American University are as rigorous and challenging as their on-campus counterparts and taught by the same connected faculty members, influential guest speakers, and prominent lecturers. Interaction and communication with instructors and fellow students are essential components of the programs and academic success.
Online students have access to many support resources including new student orientation, a 24x7 help desk for technical issues, a student services coordinator, financial aid advisers and more.