Master of Science in Sustainable Development
Unicaf University (ZM)
2 - 5 years
Earliest start date
Master of Science in Sustainable Development aims to provide students with a comprehensive foundation in Sustainable Development, encompassing academic knowledge and practical skills. It focuses on enhancing critical thinking abilities for the evaluation of sustainable development problems and solutions. Interdisciplinary perspectives are fostered to ensure a holistic understanding of sustainable development concepts. Students develop expertise in formulating research questions, assessing pertinent evidence, and effectively communicating their findings, enabling them to delve into sustainability issues deeply.
The program also places a strong emphasis on delivering high-quality education in sustainable development, covering concepts, organizations, networks, and policies. It equips students with the essential skills to innovate and develop environmental solutions crucial for building a sustainable society. Furthermore, it encourages social entrepreneurship and the establishment of green businesses through the launch of innovative ventures and products. Ultimately, the program seeks to promote pioneering public policies and social entrepreneurship initiatives that address the environmental and natural resource challenges faced by society.
Aims of the Programme
The aims of the program are as follows:
- To provide a range of academic skills and knowledge in the field of Sustainable Development.
- To improve skills in critically assessing problems and solutions related to sustainable development.
- To build interdisciplinary characters who will be able to comprehend sustainable development questions and concepts.
- To improve skills in creating research questions, critically assessing relevant evidence, and communicating their findings to investigate a sustainable development issue.
- To provide education of high quality in sustainable development concepts, organizations, networks, and policies.
- To enhance skills for innovative environmental solutions development required in building a sustainable society.
- To promote social entrepreneurship and start-up green businesses, based on the launch of innovative ventures and products.
- To promote public policy and social entrepreneurship innovations that address society’s environmental and natural resource challenges.
All Unicaf University Zambia undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes are accredited by the Higher Education Authority Of Zambia (HEA).
Scholarships and Funding
Unicaf University is in partnership with the Unicaf Scholarship programme which is one of the most generous scholarship programmes available. The programme supports eligible students and provides opportunities for studies towards the programmes offered by Unicaf University at a fraction of the cost. Unicaf has already offered more than US $100 million worth of scholarships to students helping them to study towards internationally recognised qualifications. The primary objective of the Unicaf Scholarship Programme is to make high-quality education affordable and accessible. Supported programmes have a strong professional and vocational focus delivered with an international perspective to ensure that students are prepared for work in the global marketplace and receive a return on their education investment.
|Course Code||Course Title||Credits|
|UU-FNT-203-ZM||Introduction to Master Degree||0.00|
Core requirements (required modules)
|Course Code||Course Title||Credits|
|UU-MSD-700-ZM||Sustainable Development Theory and Applications||25.00|
|UU-MSD-701-ZM||Innovation and Economic Development||25.00|
|UU-MSD-702-ZM||Sustainable Development: Politics and Policies||25.00|
|UU-MSD-703-ZM||Corporate, Social and Environmental Responsibility||25.00|
|UU-MSD-706-ZM||Engineering for a Sustainable Environment||25.00|
At the end of the program, the student will be expected to:
- Develop in-depth knowledge and understanding of advanced-level sustainability debates and be able to analyze them.
- Define and address socio-environmental vulnerabilities with success.
- Explain and apply concepts of sustainable development and their usefulness to business ethics.
- Acquire the necessary skills to engage critically with interpretations of sustainability.
- Assess and evaluate technical, social, environmental, economic, and political aspects of Sustainable Development.
- Combine Sustainable Development into the day-to-day management and functioning of organizations, and ongoing performance monitoring.
- Evaluate critical reading and analysis of environmental policy and regulation.
- Generate and adapt ecological principles and processes and be aware of the ways they are affected by human activities.
- Compare and contrast judgments about Sustainable Development policies and their implementation.
- Critically review relevant academic literature, generate a research study and link research to real-world sustainable development phenomena.
- Identifying research gaps in existing related areas and getting involved in sustainable development-related research activities.
- Develop and strengthen research data handling skills.